A 53-year-old man was struck by two vehicles Thursday morning on the city's north side, and died shortly after arriving at Banner-University Medical Center.
The victim was identified as Louis Leyba, said Sgt. Pete Dugan, a Tucson Police Department spokesman.
At about 6:30 a.m., police responded to North First Avenue, just north of East Grant Road to a report of a crash involving a pedestrian.
Tucson Fire Department paramedics treated Leyba at the scene and took him to Banner-University Medical Center where he died shortly after his arrival, said Dugan.
Traffic detectives determined that Leyba was crossing First Avenue, and he was not in a crosswalk. While crossing the road in the northbound lanes, he was struck by a 1996 Buick sedan, said Dugan. The impact caused Leyba to be thrown into the southbound lanes where he was struck by a 2003 Dodge Minivan, Dugan said.
Speed does not appear to be a factor in the crash, said Dugan. He said the drivers were not impaired.
This is the third fatality since January in the city, compared to four at this time last year, according to police statistics.



