The Santa Cruz River was flowing strong Friday morning, July 23, 2021, after an overnight monsoon storm passed over Tucson. Video by: Mamta Popat / Arizona Daily Star
Mamta Popat has been a photojournalist with the Arizona Daily Star since 2003. She covers a wide range of topics including daily life, news, border issues and Pac-12 sports. She's the only vegetarian in the photo department.
As featured on
More than 2 inches of rain fell in some areas of Tucson by early Friday.
Tucson International Airport recored a little over an inch of rain during an overnight storm that brought thunder, lightning and rain to a big swath of the Tucson area.
- Photos: Rainfall brings Sabino Canyon back to a lush life
- Tucson already has as much rain in 2021 as it usually gets in a whole year
- Tim Steller's opinion: Future holds more 'whiplash weather' like Tucson's recent extremes
- Nora or Snora? Tucson on track to get wet from tropical storm with familiar name
- Watch now: Tucson-area WWII vets take flight in restored biplane